Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Saturday, July 12, 2008

In Remembrance

After all of the thrifting and yard sale-ing I've been doing, I have become extremely fascinated with the possibilities of using different objects for shadow boxes. I have several in progress, but I finished one tonight in honor of my mother, who passed away, December, 2006. Above you see her with some much loved items that remind me of her...
A Monogrammed hankerchief (her name was Kathleen), her bookmark (she was an avid reader), some perfume she saved from her younger years, and a silver brush that was bought for her first-born, my brother, David, who died as an infant. The strand of pearls is the same three-tiered strand she is wearing in the picture.
On top, is a black and white photo of my Sarah, my mother's only grand-daughter.

This shadow box is by my dining room hutch, which I am re-decorating on a theme of family, with black and white photos of loved ones.

The sign below Mama's shadow box says, "Families Are Forever". In my heart I know that it's true.

We will see them again.

Love,
Elizabeth

7 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Elizabeth! This is beautiful!!! What a precious gathering to honor your mother...I love that your eyes will see these things and remind you of her often. When these special momentos are tucked away in a drawer, we don't get to enjoy them! It turned out just beautiful ~ xxoo, Dawn

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's a very sweet memorial to your mother.

Alexandra said...

This is so touching! What a lovely arrangement.

Trish said...

Elizabeth. What talent. And what a tribute. I just love it. Wonderful way to bring your past and present together in the common bond of family and love.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a lovely rememberance of your Mother - she would be so proud of it - very nice!
Colleen

Nita Jo said...

What a beautiful way to remember your mother! I've been wanting to do something similar in honor of mine. Seeing yours has filled me with ideas.

vikki said...

i was just looking around ~ & found your shadow box. how wonderful! what a great idea that it is right there for you to love seeing the treasured reminders. they are always in our hearts! blessings & hugs, vikki ♥