Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread

Hey, Ya'll!

I'm not much good today for anything but baking...Can't get my caboose in gear for the paperwork I ought to be doing. So, I've already made Oatmeal Cookies today. Now, I am making Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread by utilizing the following recipe...No, canned pumpkin? No problem. You can used canned yams or cooked squash in equal amounts and it will still taste good!

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin or yams, or 1 cup cooked squash or sweet potatoes
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 325
degrees.

In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and spices. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Spread batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.


Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.

3 comments:

Myrnie said...

Ooh, I never thought of subbing canned sweet potatoes....I always try to stock up when they're in the stores during holiday season, but never seem to get enough. I wonder if I have any hanging around in the pantry.... :) Thanks for sharing!

B. said...

i love pumpkin bread! I wish you were my neighbor and you could come visit me with some bread and your fresh made goodies

Sandy said...

Oh, this sounds really delicious!