Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Beautiful Life Post

The Inspired Room is hosting A Beautiful Life series...Here is my post.

Okay, I'm sorry that I want be able to upload any photos for this. My camera is broken and I won't probably have another one until the weekend.

There are a number of ways I seek to bring beauty into my life. One of the ways I'm trying to do more of this personally is to try to slow down and allow myself to enjoy my femininity more. I was a champ at this before I had children. I took very good care of myself and tried to dress and be lady-like. Then, Life took over and I became all about business, if you know what I mean. Chore after chore took over and I lost the softness, the care and attention to detail about my appearance. I am not proud of this.

Sometimes I look back on my mother and how she handled her appearance when I was a little girl. I remember her dresses and crinoline petticoats, her dressing table with its tray of perfume bottles and the jewelry box full of colorful beads. My mother never went anywhere without her hair done, her face made and some jewelry and perfume. Gosh, I have great memories about this. It made me feel so excited to be a girl.

Fast forward to today and this all comes to a screeching halt...What am I telling my daughter about being a woman?

So, lately, I have been careful to fix my face and hair before leaving my room in the morning. I put on earrings and my favorite perfume. I still don't wear skirts or dresses during the day because my wardrobe is a bit bare. But this is my next goal.

I also try to end my day with a routine of a candlelit bath, accompanied with incense of some beautiful music. It helps me remember who I would like to be.

So, these are some of my efforts to lead a more beautiful life and to, hopefully, leave my daughter with some nice, feminine memories of me.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

5 comments:

Myrnie said...

Love the music- Saint-Saens is so fabulous :) The thing I remember most about growing up with my mom was her cranking the rock songs up in the car (U2, Peter Gabriel, FYC, etc.) and dancing with her after school. Kudos to you for teaching your daughters the many wonderful things about being a daughter of our Heavenly Father!

Beth at Aunties said...

I already think of you this way!

It is a beautiful post and I could see in Sarah's eyes you are instilling thee beautiful qualities in her.

Beauty to you on this spring day!

Alicia said...

Loved your post sweetie. Keep up the good work, it is easy to get distracted, but when you take good care of yourself, you are more prepared to take care of others. Not only do your daughters need to know how to treat themselves, but your sons need to have that example so they know how to treat their wives.
Good Job!
arobbinsnest.blogspot.com

Alpine Sanctum said...

This is definitely an inspirational post! Also, thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

Christensen Family said...

I love this. It's hard for me to keep up on the lady like things now with Willow keeping me busy but I feel so much better when I do. I love reading your blog. Such lovely insights. Its my favorite one that I read!