Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Friday, October 3, 2008

Mark took me for a walk up at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, to Brighten. There is a lake there, called Silver Lake, that has one of my favorite walking trails.
Plaques have been set out along the trail, offering facts about the plants and animals who make their habitat in this wetland.
The day was overcast and easy on the eyes. The explosion of gold among the aspens was a brilliant contrast to the dark green of the pines.
Several small streams lead to the lake. Ducks and fish are bountiful.
The trail consists of part boardwalk, part dirt path.
A beautiful Stellers Jay followed us around part of the lake, hopping from limb to rock to branch just ahead of us. Was he looking for a hand-out?

A noisy squirrel descended a tree trunk and let us have it with all her wrath for disturbing her rest. Alas, she was too quick for me to take a picture of her.
Isn't it glorious?

With a happy, thankful heart,
Elizabeth

6 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is so beautiful, I'm just stunned.

How is your husband's shoulder? My husband has a sore rotator cuff now, but it doesn't seem too damaged.

mariposa said...

Those pictures take my breath away. Beautiful :)

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

What a wonderfully gloriuos day!
I love going for walks. Where you live is just gorgeous. Thank you dear Elizabeth for the wonderful comment you left me.
I am searching for my place in the world since John is gone. My kids are grown and creating is helping me.
I love your site and I am going to add you on my favorites this week.
Love Nita

Kelli said...

The views are breathtaking, Elizabeth!
~Kelli
P.s. I got the tablecloth at a yardsale many years ago.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful outing! Your photos are just beautiful. It is still so green here and your fall foliage is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing the beauty. Have a blessed week!

Sarah said...

Hi Elizabeth! You're invited to "My Favorite Things Monday" inspired by the Sound of Music! You sharing a picture and story of your current 'favorite thing' that cheered you up when life got you down, would be a blessing! I hope you can come! www.sarahlcc.blogspot.com