Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Friday, January 21, 2011

What I Love to Read


I just finished an excellent book (see previous post) and I am feeling a little down. Do any of you get that way after reading something that you loved? This book was a page turner and was beautifully written and the ending was very satisfying. However, now I am at a loss for something to read.

Any suggestions?

I usually read non-fiction, because I love history. However, once in awhile a friend of mine puts me on to a great novel. I love it when there is a bit of a mystery involved.

Having said that, following is a list of some of the favorite books that I've read (this doesn't include scripture, which of course is a fave.

MY FAVORITE BOOKS

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontee
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Day They Bombed Utah (about results of nuclear testing in the West)
For Those I loved by Martin Gray (Holocaust autobiography)
Escape from Sobibor (Holocaust - prisoner escape from Death Camp)
From Mercy Killing to Mass Murder: The Reinhardt Solution (Holocaust)
Against All Hope by Armando Vallardares (unjustly imprisoned in Castro's Cuba)
Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng (autobiography, what happened to one family during China's Cultural Revolution)
Hiroshima by John Hershey
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Sonnets of Shakespeare

Well, that's just a few, but they are the ones I tend to go back to throughout my life.

What are some of your favorite books?

Have a wonderful day!
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Sybil said...

Like your book list Elizabeth. I rarely get to read these days. Mary my friend cannot read ...well not enough to properly read...if you get what I mean. Consequently when she is here almost from 8.45am-6pm. ish..I don't like to read in front of her...mad isn't it...but that's the way I feel...same with computer she gets quite cross if I bring that out during the day whilst she is here !!! I did get a couple of books for Christmas and Birthday and I am trying to get through the birthday one called Angels in my Hair...it's a very odd book and I am still not sure if I like it or not LOL it's supposed to be a real true story of a modern day Irish mystic, who had lived with Angels all her life....My all time favourite has to be the book I could put my hand on whenever there was a fire so it coudl be saved !!....it is called ... Little Women ... perhaps it is my fav. as it was the first grown up book I ever had I must have had it when I was about 10 so thinking back it is now 56 years old...and even having been read many many times it is still almost like new !!!
Love for now Sybil xx

Myrnie said...

What a great list! My favorites the last few years have been fantasy novels- particularly Od Magic, etc. by Patricia McKillip, and Robin McKinley's novels like Beauty, Spindle's End, Chalice...nothing too heavy :)

Alexandra said...

Have you read Plaidy's historical fiction? It's interesting reading. How about some Steinbeck? I'd like to re-read Travels with Charlie and Cannery Row. I'd also like to try Agatha Christie. There are so many free books that I'd like to read at Google Books - I've bookmarked many wonderful vintage biographies and histories. I can't wait to get a Kindle!