Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blustery Wednesday

Anyone know what this lovely flower is that grows spontaneously in our garden?

Last night, I went to a class given through my church congregation on how to make yogurt and mozzarella cheese. It was fascinating and looked pretty straightforward and simple. My friend Laurie, who passed along to me the laundry soap recipe below, has an even simpler way of making yogurt, but the way we learned last night was how to make it using dry milk, which many of us keep in long term food storage. I am going to try all the methods this week and then report back here to let you know how it all goes and to share the recipes. It really is MUCH cheaper to make yogurt than to by it in the store. Also, homemade mozzarella tastes MUCH better than store bought, but the initial expense of buying the citric acid ($15 for half of a bottle - OUCH!) may be difficult for some frugal moms. Anyway, it was all very tasty.

Do any of you out there ever make your own butter? Let me know.

Well, today, is windy, partly sunny and threatening of rain on and off. My veggie garden is very happy with all of this mild and wet weather. I have really enjoyed being outside this late Spring. It is a joy.

Next, week is Summer Solstice. Do any of you celebrate it? My family loves nature and the beautiful changing of the seasons, so we mark each solstice. For Summer, we make lots of fresh foods and eat al fresco and enjoy the late summer day. When the children were young we would make fairy houses, however those days are no more until grandchildren.

Well, onwards and upwards. I have dishes piled high and breakfast to make.

Have a lovely day and remember to give thanks!
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Elizabeth, that is a Columbine. I just love them. What a gift from nature to you! xxoo

Myrnie said...

What a pretty columbine!

This is how I make yogurt:
http://doityourselfmama.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/diy-yogurt/

This is how I make butter:
http://iwonderwoman.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-table-butter.html

What fun to do a cheese class!

Laurie said...

Elizabeth, I found citric acid for less than a tenth the price Becky paid. It's at Orson Gygi--you get a full pound of it for $5.99. That makes the cheese economical!

I've made butter with my kids when they were little--put some cream in a jar and let them shake it and shake it. Sometimes we would add salt, sometimes not (after it has turned into butter). It's cheaper just to buy the butter, though.