Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Beef Stew for Fall Evenings

This picture does not do it justice!  I made stew last night, making up my own recipe as I went along and it was the best stew that I've ever made.  It all began with a Sunday roast which I slow cooked in my crockpot after adding a can of Mushroon soup and some pepper - that was it!  After Sunday dinner much of the roast was left over so I stored it in the fridge.  Last evening, I got it out and cut it into cubes, then I made the following recipe...

BEEF STEW

1 lb. cubed cooked beef roast
2 large carrots, sliced
4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can of green beans
1 c. leftover sauce from crock pot roast
1 c. water
1 heaping Tablespoon of Better Than Boullion Beef Base.
Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

That's it!  The secret ingredient in this whole recipe is wonderful Better Than Boullion Beef Base.
I get this at Costco (there is a chicken base, too).  It is a little pricey, but it doesn't have all the chemicals and artificial ingredients of most boullions and it tastes MUCH better.

Anyway, with busy Fall evenings ahead, how wonderful it is to sit down to a steaming bowl of stew which only took minutes to makes.  Truly, make your Sunday roast and then, chop the leftovers to use later in the week.  If you do that, then come stew night, food prep will literally take a few minutes.

And check out Better than Boullion.  It is scrumptious!
Have a great one!
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Christensen Family said...

YUM! Will have to try!

Alexandra said...

Those are the best meals, leftover stews by your own recipe. I keep hearing about this bouillon. I'll have to try it!