Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Clotheslines

Oh, how I love a clothesline! I adore them. They bring back such pleasant memories. When I was small and living in Virginia, my mother used a long clothesline. I use to love to accompany her as she hung out the wash. It was such fun running in between rows of sheets that were flapping in the breeze. My sister and I would hide behind them and run laughing through them. They were wet and cool against my skin in the warm weather. I loved being with Mama and I loved hanging out the wash. What a precious memory.

Even now, more often than not, I dry my clothes over the railing of our backyard deck. I like how crisp it leaves our clothes with little need for ironing. It also saves a lot on our gas bill - tons, in fact.

How about you? Do you use a clothesline? Did you have one when you were growing up?
*******************************************************************
Now, for Cats on Tuesday...Here is a tired cat, caught mid-yawn by my daughter, Sarah.
When Sarah was a baby, she called all cats "Mows" (rhymes with "cows"). So, this is a sleepy "mow".

For more Cats on Tuesday, please visit Gattina's blog HERE.

Have a great one!

(And a shout out to my special son, Robert, who turns 13 today!)
Elizabeth

6 comments:

Gattina said...

I can smell the fresh and clean laundry through my screen ;) ! I did hide and seek with my grandma in between the sheets.
What a tired cat ! She made me yawn too ! My cats are all sleeping somewhere, Rosie on my legs.

The Chair Speaks said...

Those days my mom used long bamboo sticks instead of clothesline which I managed to preserve a few.
Now that's a big yawn and almost look like laughter as well.

Sybil said...

I to love the smell of clothes that have been hung out to dry. Mary has the washing machine in her house and this week as we have had such a glorious sunny one she has been going mad washing everything in sight.haning them over the deck bannister and they have all dried beautifully....I remember when Mum was so ill up in Scotland that hanging outthe clothes was the one thing that my Dad woudl not do !! he woudl bring them in...but...no hanging out ! I also loved it in the winter when the clothes would freeze to the line and hang there frozen stiff but Mum said always came in lovely and soft !! Oh Happy memories..
Love Sybil xx
PS Happy Birthday Robert...Have a great day x

Beth at Aunties said...

I loved hanging my children's cloth diapers out on the clothes line then bringing them and folding the fluffy white stacks! I grew up with my own mom hanging our clothes on the line blowing in the fresh breeze:)
My grandmother hooked a rope line to the the clothes line with a hook on the end around my dad's overall strap because he was an escape artist. You probably guessed it.
He simply took off his overalls and was gone when she came outside. A bit bare but gone!:D TThanks for the memory!
(we are busier (Church) than we have been in ages with no sign of slowing down! Other than I need to repair a torn menicus with surgery I injured on July 4th. We are preparing my mom's home in IDaho to move and moving her here this month.) I keep putting off my surgery... because I need to soon make our year or two supply of salsa:)~♥

Laura said...

I use a clothesline and love it. We did have one growing up and it's one of those comfort items for me. I think that's one reason I like to do laundry. I often think back to my mother and grandmother hanging laundry out and it brings a smile to my face.

Anne said...

Sorry I haven't been by in awhile. I love clotheslines! They do bring such a breezy, old-fashioned feeling. Today it rained for the first time this summer. It was lovely, cleansing.