Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Looking Backward and Forward!

Ruth over at Visions and Revisions has a wonderful post about Looking Backward and Forward at the New Year. I thought that I would join her with a similar post...

Goals for 2008

Well, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't really write any out last year...I can't remember what was on my mind a year ago...I know that I really wanted to make a trip out to NC/VA and even had tickets for it, but having me out at that time became very inconvenient (l.o.n.g. story) for my family and so we had to cancel plans...Then, my beautiful friend, Melissa, passed away and I never got to visit with her. That was terribly disappointing. On the other hand, I feel like I grew a lot spiritually last year. There are things that had disturbed me in my early life about which I feel the Lord helped me to have a better understanding. I am grateful for these insights, because they have brought me greater peace.

Goals for 2009

Physically
Ugh! I need to start getting regular exercise. I need to start getting regular exercise. I need to start getting regular exercise!!!

My strong goal is to get one hour of aerobic exercise five times a week, with upper body strengthening every other day! I use to be sooo good at doing that and in the recent last two to three years, it's been awful and, believe me, I'm not nearly in as good condition.

This past year I gave up drinking soda...Ugh, that took me FOREVER to do that. Now, I want to go back to eating only healthy foods: more whole grains, fruits and veggies!

I also want to be treated by my friend, Kathy, who practices plant/spirit medicine. It is alternative medicine and I know someone who has been helped greatly by this technique and so I'd like to give it a try.

Financially
Well, we are still out of work, with some possibilities for the first of the year. However, this year, I am determined to re-build a financial cushion underneath us, begin paying off debt (it is all health-related for us), and re-build my food storage. In these troubled times, I cannot stress enough how important I think it is to be as self-sufficient as possible. For me, that means storing food, health-related items, and even water, in case of emergencies. In case this may sound extreme, I must say that we have lived off of a great deal of our storage during our period of unemployment. How wonderful to have personal items, like contact lens solution, moisturizer, etc., already on hand, when money is tight. That's not to mention having some favorite foods that we wouldn't normally be able to afford now. Also, I live in an earthquake zone - and we are overdue for a major one...I have lived through natural disasters before and that taught me to always be prepared for them.

Gifts/Talents
I would like to expand on my blog. Do more writing and also add video about various topics I'm contemplating or...making. I would like to craft more. Make more gifts by hand. Beautify my home.

Read even more.

Personal
I pray to be able to make my long-awaited trip to NC/VA. I want to visit Melissa's family. Spend time with my sister. Go to White Lake, the area of NC that my family settled and all my local relatives. See my "NC mother", Holly Holland and her family. Visit my god-daughter, Rebecca.

Another trip to CA to visit my mother-in-law and husband's siblings would be great. I also have an adopted "Dad", Robert Braithewaite (my son Robert is named after him), whom I would like to see.

I need to write more letters to loved ones. Connect more...

Spiritually
I would like to grow my relationship with the Lord more, through more focused prayer, contemplative time and much more concentrated study of the scriptures. My spiritual habits have become a little distracted and sloppy. I am feeling the need to do better.
***************************************************************************************
Well, these are just some of the areas in which I'd like to make an improvements.

What are some of your goals as you look forward to this New Year? If you post about them, leave me a comment and I would love to come read them.

Love,
Elizabeth

8 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We share similar goals. Let's make a pact to email each other if we need encouragement, ok? What do you think?

Sandy said...

Thank you for stopping by for a visit and for your sweet comment. I pray your hearts desires will be achieved in this new year! Happy New Year!

Beth at Aunties said...

I too feel we have similar goals. we should meet and go to the temple. Going there gives me so much strength spiritually. My friend Kathy who apssed away and I would go often and ahve lunch in the cafeteria.
I am glad that job opportunites are looking up for this new year. I was concerned about your family.

May you find all the blessings your desires this coming year...

With love for a sister I have yet to meet:)

Happy New year!

Beth at Aunties said...

Another goal I need to have is editing my typing... It seems that no matter what I have certain fingers always jumping the gun!!!!!

Have is always spelled wrong... sorry.. passed is also:)

candy said...

Thanks for the comment. Thats so nice of you to add me to your favorites list, thanks for thinking of me and my little blog :) You are too sweet.

The Lord bless you in 2009.

Candy

Cindy said...

Happy New Year! I hope all your goals are met! I really need to start exercising too!

Alexandra said...

Off topic, but I couldn't help passing this along. I've been purchasing "lots" of contact lenses solution off ebay for only a few dollars a bottle. If you are strapped this is a life saver for your vision budget. The bottles were recently expired, or just about to expire, but still good for at least a year past expiry date.

I usually don't make resolutions, but I do like to wrap myself around and relish the feeling of rebirth(almost) that comes with each new year. I find it exciting and inspiring.

I love watching the ball drop and all those people smiling and having a great time at Times Square. Someday I'll be there! So that's a future goal I guess. I'm pretty goalless, but it works for me. ;) I just roll through life like the little engine that could. :)

Kelli said...

I enjoyed reading your New Year's goals, Elizabeth! May you be productive and blessed in 2009!
~Kelli