Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mimie's Pretties

As most of you know from reading this blog, my mother passed away December, 2006. It fell to my sister, Jeanie, who lives back East near my parents' home, to go through all of my mother's belongings. Recently, I received a substantial shipment. I was so thrilled to open these packages and to find, not my mother's stuff, but her mother's linens and costume jewelry. My maternal grandmother, Claudia, was known as "Mimie" (pronounced "Mimmy") to everyone. She, like most women of her generation, never sat with her hands still. She was always crocheting, or tatting or embroidering...

My now owning these beautiful works of art have inspired me to beautify my surroundings. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't done much with my bedroom in recent years. I started our marriage with lots of lovely things, but many financially difficult years followed and so most of my nest feathering has been done in the common living areas and in the children's rooms. Not so, anymore. I want as much as possible to display these beautiful linens and momentoes that have come to me.

Following are just a few of Mimie's lovelies. I will be sharing more in the coming days.
I guess that I should show you before and afters but I am too shy to do that. So, above is Bentley. He is a stuffed bear that I keep on my bed for the children to cuddle when they come in for a love at night. He is now all fixed up with a beautiful lace scarf, some fancy ribbon I had on hand and one of Mimie's faux-diamond pins. He is atop one of her doilies.
Isn't he a cutie?
This is my bedside table, with my antique lamp...An antique shawl is on the lamp shade (this was actually given to me by a friend). The table is draped in linen table covers. The doily under the little snowman figurine is Mimie's too and her Bible is next to my bed.
Another view of the table...AND the beautiful bedspread she hand wrought. Isn't it lovely?
I will be topping that with crisp white, embroidered pillowcases, but I need new pillows, first. I have much to do and am very excited about it.

Can't wait to show you the finished product of my room!!
Blessings,
Elizabeth

5 comments:

Beth at Aunties said...

I panic when Ii can't find my camera! Or leave my photo card in our copier and so my camera is empty when we get somewhere special: ) I am glad the Linen closet was keeping it safe and sound...lol!
Mimie's things are gorgeous and what a treasure to have the beautiful creations she made. My own grandmother used to Tat also. I cherish the few items I was able to get. She has over 30 grandchildren so the pickins were slim.
I love the bed cover! Our son had a lady in Brazil make one for his future wife, when he was on his mission. She loved it!!!
I am so glad you were able to receive some of your mom's things.

Alexandra said...

That work is gorgeous! I love the acorn theme on the one you have under the teddy.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's an incredible bedspread.

Michelle said...

Oh I love snowmen too! Yours is adorable. :) Your teddy bear is beautiful and I love what you did with the lamp!

candy said...

Oh Elizabeth,
Everything is lovely! You displayed everything so nicely. I love it. Its very pretty...just like you! :)


Candy
thanks for the comment today!