Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

REDISCOVERING JOY - Week 4 - You Get Out of Life What You Put into It!

REDISOVERING JOY - Week4

My subject for this week was inspired by a conversation I had with someone last week when they told me they didn't enjoy reading the scriptures because they had heard it all a thousand times.  I struggled with what to say about that..I have been reading the scriptures for decades and, yes, the same ones.  What could I say that would make a difference to them and help them feel more positive about connecting with the Lord through His Word, which they had heard so many times before.  Although I made no comment at the time, I went away and prayed about what I should say and that is when this thought came to me.

YOU GET OUT OF LIFE WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

Yep, that's pretty much it.

In every area of life, we reap what we sow.

Take relationships, for instance.  Remember how it was when you were dating your husband, or embarking on a new relationship that was highly important to you?  Remember how you worked hard to please the other person by being a good listener, remembering their likes and dislikes and catering to those, by looking your best and showing your love and interest in a hundred different ways?  If your love was returned, no doubt that relationship flourished from all those loving acts.

Fast forward to the future when life is a hectic push of tending children, rushing around to various activities, possibly struggling to make ends meet or balancing a highly demanding work schedule with some remnant of family life...What has happened to our appearance and nurturing acts?  Maybe a little taking for granted of the loved one?  Is the relationship as sweet as before?  Perhaps our hearts are full of what the loved one is no longer doing for us, but ... what are we doing for them?  Are we making time, do we profess admiration and love as much as before? 

Every relationship deserves occasional review...Is it still bringing us joy?  What are we putting INTO it?   Then, it is time to try a little experiment.  If we make it a priority to be attentive to this relationship, any good hearted loved one will respond in kind.  And then, once again, you have a flourishing as with before.  This is usually true with spouses, children, family and friends.

YOU GET OUT OF LIFE WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

When I was young and in school, I found the whole exercise of getting an education, exceptionally boring.  I felt trapped in classrooms and by text books.  I'm not going to be too hard on myself, I was after all ADHD of the DAY DREAMING kind.  Anything rote, is difficult for my personality.  However, I didn't put a whole lot into anything at school except socializing, which I often got into trouble for (talking, talking, talking..).  I only passed classes because I had a photographic memory.  That saved my bacon millions of times because I never studied.  Now, so many years later, I wonder if I would have appreciated school more, if I had applied myself a little better, instead of just enduring it all.  If I had applied and advanced and achieved, wouldn't school have meant more to me?  I would have experienced greater joy, rather than intolerable boredom.  It is possible to find a reason to be interested, if one works at it.  Just a thought.

YOU GET OUT OF LIFE WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!

The other day, I was in Walgreens purchasing some meds that I needed.  I stood in line at the check out and began watching the cashier.  She was a young woman with an incredible personality and attitude.  I don't know about you, but most cashiers that I run into look like they'd rather be anywhere but where they are.  This young lady made everyone she spoke to feel special.  Her positive attitude was contagious.  I left the store feeling so much better than how I'd felt when I first got there.  This experience really got me thinking about how we often treat jobs we don't like or feel like they may be "beneath us" as something to be endured.  We do the bare minimum and dream of better days.  This young woman though reminded me that even the simplest position can have a positive effect on others if our attitude is loving, kind and happy.  She seemed to draw people to her and, someday, I know this very quality may very well lead her to her dream job.

The point that I am trying to get to here is that we often make ourselves miserable and wait for life to change or someone to come along and make things better for us.  But it is UP TO US to turn things around.  It doesn't matter the circumstances, either, whether it's a relationship, school, a job, our health or what have you.  WE hold the power to change things for the BETTER.  That power is called EFFORT, BELIEF and ATTITUDE!

YOU GET OUT OF LIFE WHAT YOU PUT INTO!

Lastly, in our relationship with our Creator...when we may feel we don't have a powerful connection with Him; that our prayers are hitting the sealing; or the scriptures are BORING...That is the time to ask oneself, "What am I doing to invest myself in the process?"

One cannot say cursory prayers and expect answers or connection to our Heavenly Father.  When we open the scriptures, do we say a prayer that the Lord will help us see how what we are reading directly affects where we are in life and then do we read CAREFULLY?  When we pray, do we allow for time to LISTEN to what the Lord may be trying to say to us?  Or do we rush through it and run on to the next thing?

If we pray and read scripture with our heart, might, mind and strength (the way we are suppose to love the Lord), He cannot withhold Himself from us.  I have a read testimony of that!

WE GET OUT OF LIFE, WHAT WE ARE WILLING TO PUT INTO IT!

So, is there an area in your life that needs a little more effort?  Don't kill yourself, just try a little harder.  In time, you will see greater rewards.  You will find greater fulfillment in what you do and JOY in your accomplishment!

Have a blessed day!

No comments: