Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Thursday, January 7, 2010

One of My Favorite Things

One of the things that I had in common with my dear mother was her passion for wildlife, especially birds. When my mother passed away, my sister sent me her lovely bird plates. There are five. The one above is a winter scene of sweet little chickadees perched upon snow-frosted berries. Aren't they precious? I have real chickadees that come to my feeders outside everyday. They are some of my very favorite birds.

The best part, though is that the leaf-decorated plate holder I found one day stashed upon a shelf at my favorite thrift store. It cost me $1 and is just the perfect thing to hold my bird plates. When I found it, it was as if Someone "up there" was watching over me and had given me a gift! Now, I always have one of Mama's bird plates hanging over my kitchen sink, something lovely to look at since we have no kitchen window.

For more Show and Tell Friday posts, please visit Cindy at My Romantic Home.
God bless!
Elizabeth

9 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I love birds myself. This plate of your mothers is so beautiful!!!

My Show n Tell, HERE, ---it's 32 degrees out, and I have one lone iris blooming!!! Come see the rich beautiful purple!!...in the dead of winter.

Happy Friday!

Tracy said...

I love birds, too. Love your mother's plate and the unique holder, too. Thanks for sharing!

Treasia Stepp said...

I'm a huge bird lover myself. That plate is precious. Even more so because it belonged to your mother. Cherish it always.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty plate - thanks for sharing it with us.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your plate is beautiful along with the memory..hugs ~lynne~

Myrnie said...

Lovely plate, and such a perfect hanger for it! I love leaves and vines in decorating :)

Susan said...

I have a love for birds as well....your plate is beautiful

Alexandra said...

Beautiful! I like birds as well. My grandmother used to have a wonderful collection of them visit her backyard. She had feedings stations for them, and I ended up learning to appreciate them and their variety.

Anneliese said...

I love this!!! What a treasure you found. And yes,if God takes care of the birds in the air, will He not surely take care of you?