Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Saturday, January 9, 2010

In Remembrance - Robert Eugene Braithwaite, 1916-2010


dear and beloved friend, Robert Eugene Braithwaite (Bob) passed quietly away yesterday morning at 4 a.m. He had been deteriorating rapidly and hadn't eaten in over a month. Bob's brother, Fred, said that he seemed to struggle for a little bit over the last few days, unsure whether he wanted to pass on or not, but then he seemed to except death. That's when he became more peaceful and was able to transition.

My heart hurts, but I am certain he is with his parents now, his brother and his beloved wife, Alice. I believe he will greet again the old comrades of his who passed during
WWII in the bombing raids over Germany and who Bob could barely get himself to talk about. There are so many people whom he out lived. He will see them again. I am happy for him. I am proud and happy that my son, Robert, carries his name. Bob and Alice weren't able to have any children so I honored him by naming my son after him.

A whole time of life, though long over, passes completely with his death - the sunny, fun California days of my single adulthood. I am so grateful for that period of time in my life, grateful that Bob was such a big part of it. We were neighbors for years and I loved to come home from work, eat a bit and then go to Bob's and flop on his couch to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I'm not a big game show person, so I did it to be with Bob. On Saturday mornings, we would go out to breakfast and then frequent the Burbank Farmers Market. We had a wonderful relationship.


When we visited Bob in December, austensibly to say good-bye, I controlled myself so that I wouldn't cry in front of him, instead recalling our wonderful memories together. But when we drove from the dear four-plex, Bob's home and the place of so many of my happy memories, I reached out in my heart. Don't leave me. Don't leave me.

Bob's siblings have very good attitudes about Bob's life (a good one) and his passing (93 years ain't bad!). They will miss him, the older brother who raised them, but they are happy for his transition. They are also private people and don't grieve in front of others. I understand this and don't expect them to show me the depth of their grief.

We won't be attending the funeral. Robert's chronic illness has caused him to miss too much school and we just can't leave. Everyone understands. In my heart I will be there. In my heart I will always be where ever Bob is. My friend. My grandfather. My buddy. My Bob.

Go on up ahead on the road, Bob. Rejoice in the beautiful reunion. Please wait for me, my beautiful friend, and don't forget me. Give Alice my love. And please come to get me when I finally pass over to the Other Side.

6 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Elizabeth sweetie...
My heart so grieves for you. I will be holding you and Bob's family up in prayer.

I believe that when we pass over, we all hang a star out into the heavens, and that is why our sky is so filled with all of these stars. If you go out tonight and look into the heavens, I know Bob will guide you to his star and you will feel comforted in knowing he is still right there for you to see and visit with every single night sweetie.

You know Elizabeth, Bob instilled in you all of these wonderful memories so that when this day came, you would have so many memories to pull from your books on the shelf and share a piece of him whenever you needed it. He is still right there sweetie. He will never leave your side.

God Bless You Elizabeth, and may my prayers help ease the pain that you heart is feeling right now.

Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR ELIZABETH,
IT IS VERY PAINFUL WHEN SOMEONE WE LOVE PASSES OVER TO HEAVEN...I LIKE TO LOOK AT IT AS A GRADUATION. I AM SURE YOU GAINED A LIFE TIME OF WISDOM FROM BOB, AND CERTAINLY THAT MANY MEMORIES AND MORE.
I CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS OF THE TUGS ON THE HEART, DON'T LEAVE ME.....I STILL CRY THOSE VERY WORDS OUT TO AMY BUT SHE DID AND NOW WILL MEET YOUR BOB AND THEY WILL BOTH BE WAITING FOR US WHEN IT IS OUR TIME.
HOW IS YOUR HUSBAND DOING? I WILL KEEP HIM ON MY PRAYER LIST, AND ELIZABETH I WILL BE PRAYING FOR A PEACE IN YOUR SPIRIT and for BOB'S FAMILY.
I KNOW YOUR FAITH IS STRONG, BUT EVEN JESUS WEPT!
I ASK YOUR FORGIVENESS FOR NOT KEEPING UP WITH YOUR BLOG AS I SHOULD...THERE WAS JUST SO MUCH WITH MY BELOVED AMY, I JUST DID NOT GET TO BLOGGING AND THEN ONLY FOR A LITTLE WHILE. THAT IS WHY MY NEW BLOG "SIMPLY DEBBIE" IS EVEN A MORE PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS AND TO FIND OUT WHAT HE HAS FOR ME TO DO.
ANGEL HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Beth at Aunties said...

Bless you heart! What a special friend he must be! I am glad you have so many wonderful memories and the fun you must have had. He sounds like yhe loved you like the daughter he never had.
I am Robert got to visit with him recently. I hope he knows what a special man he was named after. I wish your Robert felt better.

I am so sorry for you to lose such a wonderful friend and glad we ahve the knowledge we do. I am sure he will be ther for you when you too past beyond the veil.
Many blessings sweet friend,
~♥

Myrnie said...

Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. What a blessing to have such sweet memories together, and to know that he lived a long and wonderful life.

Trish said...

Elizabeth....your dear friends who care for you have given such wonderful words here on your post. I too grieve for you and and your loss. What a wonderful gift you gave to this couple by naming your son after him. Blessings on you and your dear little family my friend.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry to read of your loss. It's never easy to lose one we love. I'm glad you know that he's gone home.

Hugs to you.