Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Monday, May 2, 2011

Relief and Apprehension

 Last night, my husband and I were watching a little TV and as I flipped through the channels to get to PBS I noticed that one station was showing pictures of Osama Bin Laden.  Oh well, I thought.  I gave up hope of his capture long ago.  As we settled on our program, my son came running up the stairs to tell us that one of his friends had just called to tell him that Osama Bin Laden is dead.

WHAT?!?!?

With haste, we switched to a network station.  They were all carrying the story at this point and watched for hours the replay of this incredible turn of events.  How was it possible after all these years?

I admit to mixed feelings.  I am thankful this man and a few of his associates are no longer able to hatch plans to hurt our country.  But I am also a little apprehensive about the possibility of reprisals.  I can only pray that the good Lord will bless and protect this country.  I am aware that our society has to some degree gone astray in sin, but I am just as equally aware that many good men and women live lives of service to others and try to the best of their abilities to honor Him.

For those who have sacrificed their lives to protect our nation, beginning with those who fought back on Flight 93 to the present day, all I can say is I am deeply humbled by their willingness to give their lives so that we might have an opportunity to make a better future for our children.

Please pray for our safety, but also we must try our best to live our lives in such a way that we are worthy of the Lord's protection.  We must be vigilant - watchful of our enemies, but also careful in how we live.  In this way, we honor the fallen.  By this, their sacrifice is not in vain.

4 comments:

Myrnie said...

Honestly, I am disturbed at how everyone is cheering his death. Just seems inhuman, barbaric.

Alexandra said...

Me too! I was embarrassed for our country.

"Please pray for our safety, but also we must try our best to live our lives in such a way that we are worthy of the Lord's protection. We must be vigilant - watchful of our enemies, but also careful in how we live. In this way, we honor the fallen. By this, their sacrifice is not in vain."

Amen.

Sybil said...

Thank you Myrnie and Alexandra for your comments. I felt a real unease when I awoke this morning to see such jubilation at the murder of such a man...Not that I have any difficulty with his death...no indeed...but as we live in a world where we are supposed to honour our God and ALL human beings it cannot be right to celebrate anothers death. I can hear people say....Oh but he never gave a thought to us.....true...but the law we live under is Gods law and we were warned that it was not an easy way.. There can be nothing harder than loving our enemies...(or nothing that confuses them more !!)
Love Sybil xx

What I Did Today said...

I love your thoughts on this. We really do need to do our part to make this country one God is pleased with so we can receive His promised blessings. I really do hope and pray we will be protected.