Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July

animated usa flag and sparklers

"Oh, beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved, And mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness, And ev’ry gain divine.
"
~Katherine Lee Bates (1859-1929)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy 4th of July!

Since the holiday falls on the Sabbath, most festivities this year were held yesterday on the 3rd, or will be held tomorrow on the 5th. I was still too sick to do everything my husband took the children to do yesterday, but I did finally make it to the fireworks in the evening.
Tomorrow is the legal holiday, so Mark is off of work and we will be spending family time at the neighborhood pool and perhaps have a cook-out.

You will not believe it, but today it was in the 70's, an incredible Spring-like day. It is actually chilly tonight. Such strange weather. This is the first 4th of July I have ever experienced in Utah where the temperatures weren't scorching, and I have been here 12 years.

Well, I'm keeping this post short, as I am still recuperating. To all of my U.S. blog friends, Happy 4th and 5th!
Elizabeth


3 comments:

Myrnie said...

Happy 4th!! Get well soon!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm sorry you're still not feeling well. Take good care of yourself.

Beth at Aunties said...

I am so sorry you still are not feeling well. I hope health finds it's way to your door again very soon! I have had gout this month through all our events and just now my feet are starting to funtion again. :)
The weather was so cold in Boise this week end it was hard to enjoy the 4th fireworks fun. The wind has been terrible for our yard though here with the warmth drying out everything and so it is very dry..
Are you interested in any prized Irises, lilies, Bishops weed ground cover, or bleeding heat plants? We are going to thin out our yard a lot very soon.
Get well!
~♥