Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Monday, October 12, 2009

There I Always Something to be Grateful For

Hello, Friends!

I've spent the majority of the last few weeks flat on my back in bed with major back problems (lumbar stenosis, which may require surgery). Of course, it is never, ever convenient for a mother to be sick, but right now especially things are challenging. My son is home with a chronic illness that has him on "Home & Hospital Leave" with school and I am suppose to be his tutor..AND the husband really needs my support...AND...I have a lot to do, doggone it!

Okay, so I could whine right now, something at which I have a great deal of experience! :) But, you know, I can't help remembering another time like this when the sky was literally raining adversity all around me...

Years ago, when my dear Sarah was born (one of the MOST beautiful moments of my life), she was born at the end of a tremendously difficult pregnancy, the last four months of which I had to sleep sitting up in a chair because of the pain. The week before she was born, I stayed up all night, night after night, typing up my husband's papers for Finals. The day that ended I was abruptly put into the hospital (blood pressure), which began three grueling days of labor. Of course, once that's over, one can't go home and rest, because you return home with a tiny infant to take care of. That begins the sleepless nights of late night feedings. When Sarah was 9 weeks old, I had major surgery to repair the problem that had affected my pregnancy, which took me several months to recuperate from.

So, finally it is Christmas time, Sarah is three months old and I am finally strong enough to venture out of the house and go for a mother/daughter photo shoot at Sears. I am very weak, but we make it through everything just fine. While I am taking the elevator back down to parking, I am praying in my mind, complaining to the Lord about all of my trials and about how I don't feel equal to my tasks. Whine, whine, whine. Complain, complain, complain.

Suddenly, the elevator stops. The doors open and in comes this woman, pushing a front to back double-stroller, with a tiny baby in front, another tiny baby in back and THEN another tiny baby in a harness on her chest. Yes, this woman had TRIPLETS. And I will never forget her face. She looked like she'd had the guts kicked right out of her and was terribly exhausted. Oh, my goodness, I just wanted to hold her. Instead, I looked up at the ceiling and in my heart, I said, "Oh, THANK YOU, Heavenly Father, that I only had one baby to come home to after my surgery. Oh, thank you that right now I only have one to worry about. OH, thank you, thank you, thank you for all of my MANY blessings!"

It took about 60 seconds for me to have a whole attitude change. Why? Because the Lord showed me someone who was having an even harder time than I was, right at the moment when I was whining. What a paradigm shift.

So, When I am on the road to whining, Woe is me, things are so hard! I remember that dear woman and I remind myself that things could be so much more difficult than they are. And, the Lord gives us what we can handle, even if we can just barely handle it. :)

So, I give thanks today that for most of my life I have enjoyed good health. I have been able to do many things that I've always wanted to do and some things that I never dreamed I'd be able to do. I have had a really good run, most of the time. Now, that I am having some health problems, I am so thankful for medications for pain, and for health care and for many people who care about me and my family.

So, no whining and complaining!

Have a lovely Fall day!:)

3 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

What a wonderful post sweet Elizabeth!!!! Thank you very much for reminding us to keep things in perspective and realize how fortunate we all really are ~ I do hope that you are getting better, please rest and take care of yourself, there's never a good time for a mom to be sick!! hugs and love, Dawn

Anne said...

You guys are back on my prayer list! Thanks for the encouragement; I hope you will be up and around soon, as well as your son. I think I need to do a thankful post!

Myrnie said...

Oh dear...sending get-well thoughts to your family! My dad always said work like it depends on you and pray like it depends on God...and I know you are.