Today, I am thinking about all the ways to cook more low-fat, as I try once again to lose some weight. So, I've compiled some tips, some of which are hopefully new to you!
- When purchasing ground beef, save money by NOT buying the leanest cut of meat. However, after you have browned the meat, put it into a collander and run VERY hot water over. Much of the fat will rinse right off!
- To lengthen your ground beef, add some nutrients, and cut down the fat per serving, stir-fry grated zuchini and add to your browned, ground beef AFTER you have rinsed it. You will get more mileage from you meat AND will add vitamins from a veggie that many children do NOT like to eat (and they will never be the wiser!).
- Make low-cal versions of your favorite recipes, especially casseroles, by replacing fat-free sour cream (better yet, use plain yoghurt) for the real stuff. Use low-cal soups, such as Campbell's 98% Fat Free Mushroom Soup, instead of the higher calorie alternative.
- Next time you serve Rago Spaghetti Sauce, or some other brand of store-bought sauce, added steamed and pureed yellow squash, carrots or sweet potato to the tomato mixture. Again, this pumps up taste, nutrition and mileage.
- Better yet, when you have some spare time, roast the above listed veggies with some garlic and chopped onion. Puree. Add this to lasagnas, meatloaf, soups, tomato sauces, etc.
- Have a sweet tooth? Try one square of sweet baker's chocolate and eat a fruit salad. This squelches my hunger for dessert!
- Poach eggs instead of scrambling or frying them! They taste just as good without all the fat. (If you need instructions on how to poach eggs, just ask me!)
- Eat a hearty salad prior to serving the main course at supper, it will fill you up on good stuff and lessen the chance of overindulgence.
- When you feel hungry in between meals, go for a protein snack...such as string cheese, a handful of almonds or a boiled egg. This seems to squelch the munchies for me better than just eating a piece of fruit or some veggies.
Well, those are some suggestions. Let me know if any work for you!