Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Monday, May 18, 2009

Homemade Upholstery Cleaner

Hello, One and All!
Happy Monday!
I hope and pray that your week is beginning well. Mine is lit with beautiful sunshine and decorated with blooming flowers and sweet little birds flying around (outside, of course!).

Today, I am cleaning and doing laundry. I would like to have a professional cleaning service come to my home and clean my upholstery, because it is beginning to need it. However, these are still tough times, so we can't do that right now. So...I went to my trusty computer and googled "homemade upholstery cleaner". I then found myself at the Michigan State University Extension, which had a whole section on homemade cleaners HERE.

I decided to use the recipe for their upholstery cleaner, which is...
1 cup of warm water
1/4 cup of dish detergent
Whip it in your mixer

So, here I go...
The mixture becomes quite frothy...

a>Get a clean rag and using ONLY the froth, not the liquid underneath...

Press firmly and scrub back and forth over upholstery surface, paying special attention to trouble areas, such as arm rest, etc...

Whew, just after a minute or so, look how much dirt came off on my rag, although my furniture doesn't look "dirty".
I was very pleased with the results. After doing the whole chair, it looked much fresher.

Give it a try sometime. I just love it!

**************************************************************************************
Sorry that I don't have a menu plan for today. I have no CLUE what to serve this week and I get out of thinking about it for tonight, because we are invited to a friend's house.
Have a truly great day!
Elizabeth

15 comments:

Anne said...

We have the exact same fabric on our couch! (Thanks for the recipe post, I love to do things myself if I can!)

Rae said...

That is a great idea! Thankfully we have just enough furniture which means trying this shouldn't take too long. I will have to put it on my weekend to-do list.

Beth at Aunties said...

Thank You for the recipe. Our furniture can use a good cleaning!

Whew we are back for a day before the Memorial Day weekend starts.
We came in early this morning (12:30 our time and 2:30 Eastern time. My hubby still got up at 4:45 to be at the Church Office Building. Right before leaving Atlanta Elder Oaks boarded and we looked at each other and knew our flight would be a safe one.:-)
Both of our parents are doing better. We are going to access, FIL condition tonight. I have missed everyone and probaly next week will be able to catch up.
Our newlyweds will be here tonight for her brothers wedding. So much to do and not enough time...I just want to sleep:)

I loved your picture...it is very romantic and so you!

Hugs my friend!

Beth at Aunties said...

Thank You for the recipe. Our furniture can use a good cleaning!

Whew we are back for a day before the Memorial Day weekend starts.
We came in early this morning (12:30 our time and 2:30 Eastern time. My hubby still got up at 4:45 to be at the Church Office Building. Right before leaving Atlanta Elder Oaks boarded and we looked at each other and knew our flight would be a safe one.:-)
Both of our parents are doing better. We are going to access, FIL condition tonight. I have missed everyone and probaly next week will be able to catch up.
Our newlyweds will be here tonight for her brothers wedding. So much to do and not enough time...I just want to sleep:)

I loved your picture...it is very romantic and so you!

Hugs my friend!

Teri said...

cool! Thanks for sharing Elizabeth :) PS Love the picture of you and Mark!! I totally see Sarah in you :)

See you Wednesday!

Jack said...

nice!

Ashlea said...

Cool!

My mom also made her own Indianapolis carpet cleaner with its major ingredient; baking soda. Baking soda is known to useful not only in kitchen but also in cleaning. It is nice that carpet cleaners (Indianapolis) in town would not use expensive and harmful products anymore. Using baking soda in cleaning also helps maintain the true beauty of the fabrics.

AlexFlook said...

Thank you! We have a new puppy who has learned to "lift his leg." I do not have a stand mixer, but a hand mixer works just as well. As for dinner, try tortilla soup! 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, one 15oz can diced tomatoes, 1 small can green Ortega chilies, 1-2 cups rice, pkg taco seasoning and tortilla chips! In a large pot, cover the chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil, simmer until done (about 20 minutes). Remove the chicken and add all other ingredients. When chicken is cool "shred" it with two forks. Return the "forked" chicken to the pot and simmer for as long as you want (I simmer on low for about an hour). Crush the tortilla chips in your bowl and ladle on the soup. Delish!

Sheryl said...

Thanks, I'm trying the upholstery cleaner. Will let you know how I do with it. I leave your site up so I can listen to the beautiful music. Thank you.

Maria said...

Hi and thanks for the recipe! Have you also heard/tried the following:
5 cups of water
two thirds cup of baking soda
quarter cup of white vinegar
and
a third cup of ammonia.

Just wondering if it would work on my synthetic upholstery. Many thanks!

Maria

Source: Upholstery Cleaner

france pope said...


This is fabulous.Great post!Thank you for sharing.Keep it up!!!
upholstery north hampton nh

cheerylcanete8 said...

Very nice idea. I am glad you have shared it to us. I hope you share more about your experiments. Very simple but interesting. It will be great help for us.

Karly Mittens said...

Home made upholstery cleaners are good for basic cleaning and maintenance. Good to be aware about it especially for most homeowners.
Great post!


Upholstery Cleaning Brisbane | Upholstery Cleaning Gold Coast

lola davis said...

Thanks for sharing upholstery cleaning Middleton

Layne Adams said...

Hi there! this is such an informative post. Thank you for sharing. Cheers!

- The upholstery cleaning north andover