Home for the Holidays, by Thomas Kincaid

Friday, May 14, 2010

My FAVORITE Chocolate Chip Cookies


Okay, you HAVE to try this wonderful recipe. Like you, I have made a number of different chocolate chip cookie recipes, but this is BY FAR the chewiest, most delicious result that I have ever had. The recipe is from the What's For Dinner? cookbook.

Enjoy!

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla (yes, that much!)
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
2 c. chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet)

Beat together butter, sugars and eggs. Stir in vanilla. Add flour, soda and salt and mix until blended. Do not over mix. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

I think that's it is the brown sugar that makes it sooooo chewy. The recipe actually calls for 1 t. of vanilla, but I use 1 T. with wonderful results.

**********

Another chilly, overcast day, with intermittent sunshine. I have the living room, glass door open for the breeze and to keep an eye on the birdies out at the feeders. I've changed the feed and recently have begun to attract birds I've never seen in my yard before. There was a black bird at the feeder this morning and just a short while ago, I saw a beautiful bird with a coal black body and orange wings. I will have to look him up in my book and find out his name. What a lovely surprise when what I mostly get are house sparrows, Mr. and Mrs. House Finch, Mr. and Mrs. Mourning Dove and Chickadees.

**********
My garden lies fallow and overgrown with weeds. Beginning this evening when my husband returns from work, we are starting the arduous process of tilling the ground. It's backbreaking work, but needs to be done if we are to achieve our goal of urban homesteading. I will show you before and after photos soon!

Otherwise, have a lovely Friday and beginning to your weekend.
Love,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Myrnie said...

Yumm! My kids adore chocolate chip cookies, I'll need to give these a try!

Good luck with your garden...as we speak, a back hoe is piling my driveway into a dump truck, and then we'll build the retaining wall, and THEN we can build the garden boxes in the front yard (where all the sun is.) Oh boy....by next weekend, I HOPE my 30 tomatoes and basil plants will have happy homes in the dirt. Then the squash... :) It's so late in our season already (frost free day was 4/15) that I'm afraid I'll have to wait for a fall garden to get any real variety in the ground. I tried our backyard box again, thinking if I planted really early, it would get lots of sun (and growth) before the trees leafed out...but I think everything has stalled. But hey, maybe I'll pick everything and make a micro greens salad! :D

Anne said...

I KNOW what I'm doing today! :) Thanks for the recipe.